Faulty breathing equipment was blamed yesterday for the death of a Birmingham holidaymaker in a diving accident in Spain.

Terrance Cain, aged 47, was pulled by police from the sea at Tio Ximo bay, just outside Benidorm, and rushed in a high-speed launch to the harbour.

Attempts were made to revive him there before he was taken to hospital by ambulance but he died shortly after reaching the Benidorm Clinic.

The death happened on Monday afternoon and yesterday Jose Ramon Gonzalez de Zarate, the Benidorm town councillor responsible for public safety, said it was believed there had been a problem with Mr Cain's oxygen canister.

It was thought a fault had caused the diver to breath in carbon monoxide, he added.

"This happens once in 3,000 cases. It was an accident."

Mr de Zarate said Mr Cain had a diving qualification and previous experience. He added that the the Aquanaughts diving school responsible for organising the trip had "adhered to both national and regional safety guidelines".

According to reports, emergency services were notified of the tragedy by the female diving instructor in charge of the group.