Joe Calzaghe could soon add a third belt to his super-middleweight title collection after WBC champion Markus Beyer expressed his interest in an unification fight later this year.
The 34-year-old, who is scheduled to defend his title in the German town of Zwickau on May 13, fancies a date with the hard-hitting Welshman who earlier this month destroyed IBF champion Jeff Lacy in what many called one of the best performances in British boxing history.
"A fight against Calzaghe, with three titles at stake, is a tremendous challenge," Beyer said. "Those unification fights are very attractive and it is one of my goals."
The German last scored a unanimous points verdict over former Calzaghe opponent Omar Sheika before clinching a 12th-round stoppage of Italian challenger Alberto Colajanni in January.
German promoter Wilfried Sauerland revealed he has received an offer from Frank Warren.
"We are very interested in this fight and are happy that England is interested as well," Sauerland stated.
"But their current offer is not acceptable. It is not good enough financially and the date coincides with the football World Cup. But we are in talks and would love to stage this attractive bout in either September or October."
It completes a remarkable turn-around from Beyer's management. Less than six weeks ago, Sauerland said he "would not do any business with Warren any more" after both sides had repeatedly failed to work out unification fights between Calzaghe and German former WBA/IBF champion Sven Ottke.
Amir Khan, meanwhile, will be given a two-month break following the postponement of his latest fight in Glasgow on March 25. The unbeaten Bolton teenager was lined up to take on Argentinian Diego Alejandro Madole at the Braehead Arena in his seventh professional fight.
But that was called off yesterday after Danny Williams was forced to pull out of his heavyweight clash due to injury.
Khan, 19, has been in training but Warren is happy to let him wait for his next defence on May 20.
Warren also revealed WBO featherweight champion Scott Harrison missed out on a dream showdown with Mexican superstar Marco Antonio Barrera because of his mandatory defence against Joan Guzman, of the Dominican Republic, on May 20.