Officials at Cadbury's yesterday refused to comment on reports that sales of chocolates are down by 25 per cent since the salmonella scare.
The Birmingham-based company said it does not comment on "speculation" as it was poised to announce some details of the cost of the contamination crisis this week.
The firm is expected to confirm on Wednesday that it cost more than £20 million to recall seven of its products from shops while millions more was spent on the clean-up operation.
The announcement will be made to the City as Cadbury Schweppes interim results are revealed.
Meanwhile, a report in trade magazine The Grocer indicates that sales of Cadbury's chocolates have plummeted by a quarter since the salmonella contamination scare at one of its factories last month.
To win back customers, Cadbury's is to launch a £5 million advertising and press campaign for Dairy Milk. The firm will also resume its sponsorship of Coronation Street - which was pulled after it was forced to recall one million chocolate bars.
Experts remain divided over the medium to long-term impact on sales.
Julian Hardwick, a food analyst at global bank ABN Amro, believes the scare could reduce sales by ten per cent in the third quarter, which would could cost £20 million.
The true scale of the financial impact is not likely to be known for some time as the new figures will only cover a few days after the original announcement of the recall was made.
A spokeswoman for the company last night said: "We will not give out Stock Market sensitive information or make any comment on speculation."