When Kevan Broad-hurst received a phone call from Jeff Bonser on Sunday morning he realised it wasn't likely to be about the price of bread.

Broadhurst rushed away from a game with Birmingham City's old boys at Sedgemere Sports Ground in Yardley after being summoned to Bescot Stadium by Walsall's chairman.

Bonser confirmed Broadhurst's fate within 24 hours of Walsall's relegation being rubber stamped.

A 3-1 home defeat against Huddersfield was the final straw for Bonser and ensured Broadhurst's 11-game tenure at the helm brought only seven points.

Ultimately, those statistics were responsible for Bonser showing him the door and handing Mark Kinsella the reins for the final two fixtures.

Nevertheless, Broadhurst bears no malice towards Bonser and confesses that he was fully aware of the conditions attached to the job when he took charge.

"This has been the toughest two months I have aver experienced," said Broadhurst.

"I have never worked so hard for so little reward in terms of results.

"It came as no surprise when Jeff told me the news yesterday, as he made it clear from the start.

"I was given the job on the basis that if I kept the club in League One it was mine. If I didn't, then it was open to discussion and he stuck by that agreement.

"It is hard to change a club round in 11 games and I'd hoped to get more time.

"In my opinion, the club was in a fairly bad state and had been on a long downward spiral.

"However, I have got no problem with Jeff as the results didn't go well."

The dilemma facing Bonser and Walsall is where to turn next after an unmitigated disaster of a campaign.

The sale of Matty Fryatt and the loss of Jorge Leit?o in the transfer widow exacerbated Walsall's problems, as their goal supply dried up.

A propensity to concede goals at inopportune times only added to the general malaise and Walsall supporters will be glad to see the back of this troubled campaign.

While Broadhurst won't look back on his short stint as Walsall manager with any great affection, he can draw solace from the belief he couldn't have done any more.

"I will be honest with myself, like I asked the players to be, and I don't think I could have done many things different," he said. "The players were always prepared properly and Bristol City aside, no one outplayed us.

"The situation was probably a little bit worse than I expected when I arrived and I always knew that scoring goals was going to be a problem.

"Two months isn't a long time for you to get used to the players and vice versa. No disrespect to the squad of I have left behind but it wasn't my type of squad.

"I wanted an aggressive, high-tempo style of player who wears his heart on his sleeve, whereas we were more of a footballing squad.

"When you are down the bottom of the table, it is generally the blood-and-guts style that gets you out of trouble, though that is no criticism of the players or previous manager."