The first thing that strikes you on the way into Bristol are all the rock climbers scaling the cliffs that border the city.

And Bristol City manager Gary Johnson and his team have certainly scaled some great heights themselves this season securing promotion to the Championship and then going top of the division last weekend after 3-0 win over previous leaders Coventry City.

Albion's start to the season however has seen their supporters in limbo to some extent as they wait to see how Tony Mowbray's new additions to the squad will shape up.

Robert Koren's 74th-minute goal looked to have put Albion on the top of the Coca-Cola Championship but Bradley Orr's equaliser with two minutes to go earned his side a share of the spoils.

Albion manager Tony Mowbray made some key chances to the side who had beaten Ipswich Town 4-0 at the weekend.

Midfielders Chris Brunt and James Morrison were dropped to the bench while Portuguese star Filipe Teixeira was rested completely.

In came Koren, Richard Chaplow and Zoltan Gera while striker Ishmael Miller was sidelined with Scottish striker Craig Beattie returning to the fray.

Beattie, who was rested last week after his exploits with Scotland in the European 2008 Championship qualifier against Lithuania, looked suitably refreshed.

His first real effort was easy enough however for Adriano Basso in the City goal but then, eight minutes into the game, he found the advancing Koren free and passed back to the Slovenian whose fierce shot whistled just wide of the post.

Two minutes later and Michael McIndoe was again causing problems but his long range effort was just gathered by Dean Kiely in the Albion goal but then Albion were again on the counter-attack with Kevin Phillips attempting to lob Basso from 15 yards.

In the 29th minute former Wolves midfielder McIndoe who had been arguably City's best player in the early exchanges was substituted after apparently taking a knock - much to the delight of the travelling Baggies' faithful.

And immediately Albion almost took the lead as Paul Robinson fired a powerful header off the bar.

By now tackles were flying in on both sides as they each tried to stamp their authority on the game in midfield.

Lee Trundle went on a solo run tearing through the Albion defence in the 38th minute although in the end his shot was lame but then two minutes later it was Albion again who threatened with Hungarian Zoltan Gera beating two defenders to fire on target from 30 yards. His effort stung the finger-tips of Basso who did well to dive in mid-air to save it.

The second half started at much the same tempo with Trundle having the first of the chances but putting it wide and then Chaplow having another speculative effort just wide of the mark.

Just after the hour Mowbray decided to freshen up his attacking force by replacing Beattie with Miller who immediately found himself in space only for Koren to play the ball wide.

There were cries for a penalty after a possible handball from Carl Hoefkens from the Bristolians before the accused turned hero to pull off an incredible tackle to deny Trundle what looked like the opener.

Albion finally took one of the chances with the game entering its final quarter-hour, Chaplow's midfield tackle allowed him to set Miller free and the substitute fired the ball across the area for Koren - making his first start of the season after suffering an eye injury back in July - to side-foot the ball home.

Albion must have thought the three points were theirs as Mowbray brought on Pele to try and tie up the defence but there was an agonising end the game for the 2,000-plus Albion fans when Orr popped up to steal the equaliser.