Worcester Warriors director of rugby John Brain remained upbeat following his side's 41-19 mauling at the hands of Cardiff Blues.

Brain watched his team concede seven tries at the Arms Park but insisted they will be ready when the season gets underway on September 2.

Two of those tries came inside the opening ten minutes, Cardiff locks Deiniol Jones and Bradley Davies handing the Blues a 10-0 lead.

Dafydd Hewitt then went over in the corner for a third try on the half-hour with Xavier Rush completing the first-half whitewash as the home side went in at the break with a 24-0 lead.

"Obviously, it's a trial match," Brain said. "There were some positives to come out of it. I thought some individuals did themselves a lot of good and our set-phase, scrum, line-out and re-start was pretty good.

"But I think the major concern for us was the way we defended in the first 40 minutes.

"I would sooner play against good-quality opposition in August. We are two weeks off the start of the season and, if that happens against Bristol, it's a major concern. It's something that's been flagged up and we've got time to address."

Worcester seemed to grow in stature when replacement scrum-half Ryan Powell took his place for the second period, relishing the chance to turn out against his former side.

His good work led to Devita Taumoepeau darting through for a first Warriors try and Powell also set up Thomas Lombard to score as the Premiership side threatened to haul themselves back into contention.

A 50-yard effort by Chris Pennell added to Worcester's score but it was Cardiff who finished the stronger with further tries by Mosese Luveitasau and a double by flanker Rhys Williams.

Brain said: "We felt that we got a bit of a lesson in the first half and we just talked about defence [at half-time].

"But what was significant was there was a strong wind blowing one way and the ideal thing for both teams on the toss would be to attack with the wind in the first half. They won the toss and chose to do that. We had our defence tested and it wasn't up to scratch."

n A stylish second-half display by Moseley enabled them to ease to a 40-12 victory over Stourbridge.

The Black Country side shipped 41 points on their last visit to Billesley Common for a National Two match in January. Although they scored the first points in this pre-season clash, the home side again eventually ran out convincing winners.

New signings Jody Peacock and Paul Arnold showed some impressive touches, Peacock adding some punch at centre while former Nottingham lock Arnold was the star with a tireless display.

Stourbridge prop Adam Sturdy handed the visitors a surprise 32nd-minute lead, Sam Robinson kicking the conversion, but it was all square at the break thanks to converted Nathan Bressington score.

In the second half, Moseley slowly took control of the contest, running in four tries without reply to lead 33-7 on the hour. Winger Carl Colvin bagged a double while replacement hooker Dean Bick and Jim Rodwell also went over, Ollie Thomas kicking three conversions.

John Hall scored a late try for Stourbridge but this was immediately cancelled out when Tom Warren went over for another converted score deep in injury time.

* In an ill-tempered friendly at Portway, Pertemps Bees completed their pre-season campaign with a 19-5 victory over visitors Bridgend.

Prop Terry Sigley and back-row Will Matthews were yellow-carded while Alex Davidson had to be treated for a gashed head.

Bees went over twice before the break, back-row pair Mark George and Akapusi Qera being driven over. Hooker Matt Miles added to the scoreline in the second half with Jon Higgins kicking two conversions.

Head coach Steve Williams said: "It was another good workout for us and most members of the squad again got some valuable game-time.

"I was very pleased with the way the boys stood up in what was a very physical match." * New Zealand wrapped up their fourth Tri-Nations title in five years after a 34-27 victory over Australia at Eden Park in Auckland. Both sides scored three tries but, with a damaging penalty count, Australia allowed Dan Carter too many shots at goal and he delivered.