A Birmingham-based social housing group has been fined £100,000 for health and safety breaches which led to the death of a 75-year-old man.
Anthony Ironmonger died in hospital on December 17, 2007, from multiple organ failure, days after suffering extensive burns in a bath at a Midland Heart hostel in the city.
Mr Ironmonger, who had alcohol usage issues and was partially sighted, had lived at Summer Hill House, in Ladywood, for 10 years.
Sentencing the company at Birmingham Crown Court, Judge William Davis QC said the pensioner's death was a "direct result" of the scalding which happened on the morning of December 6.
He said: "Nothing I do or say today can in any way recompense for the loss of that man's life. His life was priceless and it cannot be recompensed by some financial penalty."
The court heard that Mr Ironmonger had entered a communal bathroom at the hostel at around 8.45am and was heard "groaning in distress" a short time later by staff.
The bathroom door was prised open and the pensioner was pulled out of the water which was between 60C and 65C. There were no temperature control valves fitted to taps in the bathroom.
The judge said: "Mr Ironmonger was in the bath plainly trying to free himself from the bath. He was on his side saying: I'm burning. And he plainly was."
The judge said staff at the hostel, which provided supportive housing for homeless men over the age of 45, had not been trained to deal with a scald injury and "didn't know what to do".
The court heard that a scheme to fit thermostatic mixer valves on all taps at Midland Heart properties had since been rolled out.
The judge said there had been a "substantial amount" of mitigation, adding that the company has "now made genuine efforts to remedy the defect".
Midland Heart was fined £80,000 in relation to Mr Ironmonger and £20,000 in relation to a second man who sustained burns in a bath at another of its properties in 2008.
The firm, which had admitted two counts of breaching its general duty to persons other than employees, contrary to section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, was also ordered to pay costs of £35,000.