A coroner has given a warning about the danger of plastic nappy sacks after the a Birmingham baby was suffocated by one of them.
Birmingham’s Assistant Deputy Coroner Michael Snell said he would be writing to the company that produced the bags asking they make the warning about their use and disposal more prominent.
He made his comments after hearing there had been two other occasions in recent years of babies dying in similar circumstances.
Rachael Hughes said she had gone to bed at home in Winslow House, Bushwood Road, Selly Oak on June 16 to be later woken in the early hours by her four-month-old daughter Olivia Gloster who was a bit “grizzly”.
She said she had tried to settle her and had eventually gone back to bed with her daughter who she left lying with her head on the pillow.
However, when she woke up in the morning she discovered Olivia was not where she had left her and found her on the floor.
She said there was a plastic nappy sack which was partly covering her mouth and she had tried to resuscitate her after calling an ambulance.
Miss Hughes said although she knew about keeping plastic bags away from babies she was not aware about any specific warning on the nappy sacks.
Consultant pathologist Dr Phillip Cox said although Olivia had been suffering from a bad case of chicken pox at the time the most likely cause of death was suffocation.
He said he had seen other cases of suffocation involving nappy sacks and there was a particular danger because the plastic bags were so thin.
Mr Snell said he believed that the child’s mother was not alone in not noticing the warning on the bags about keeping them away from babies and young children which was in fairly small print.
He said they were obviously very useful things to have but because of their nature and the flimsy material they were made of it was easy to leave them lying all over the place.
“More effort should be made to make sure that the appropriate warnings are given not only to mothers and parents but to other people involved in administering to young children.”
He said that the injury causing Olivia’s death was plastic bag suffocation and recorded that she died as a result of an accident.