Birmingham International Airport last month handled a record 1,036,135 passengers – confounding the fuel crisis which has been hitting many airlines.
The July figure meant the airport smashed through the million passenger barrier for the first time in 2008.
During the month, 718,958 scheduled passengers and 317,177 charter travellers used the airport’s two terminals, an increase of 7.5 per cent over the previous year.
The airport also notched up another record in July as it exceeded the 9.5 million passenger mark for first time in a rolling 12 month period. From August 1 2007 to July 31 2008 the airport saw a total of 9,530,628 pass through its gates, an impressive increase of 4.3 per cent over the previous 12 months total.
Joe Kelly, acting managing director of Birmingham International Airport, said: “It is another record breaking month for the airport.
“Additionally, our rolling 12 month record of over 9.5 million passengers is definitely something to shout about. Biarritz, Bratislava, Bydgoszcz, Gdansk, Olbia, Perpignan, Stockholm and Trapani were all new routes that started from the airport in July, helping to reach these record numbers.
“Looking forward to the rest of the year we are delighted that Turkish Airlines has announced a new service to Istanbul starting in December, and with Ryanair adding an extra ten routes from October it should be a busy second half of the year as well.”
In July, growth was achieved on non-EU routes of 7.3 per cent and EU of 20.6 per cent. The Irish Republic saw an increase of 12.9 per cent.
Scheduled traffic accounted for 69.4 per cent of the total passenger traffic in July, while charter passengers made up the remaining 30.6 per cent.