1. Erdington was valued at thirty shillings in the Doomsday Book.
2. According to DJ John Peel, Erdington was the centre of the world for rock and roll at the end of the 60’s thanks to the night club Mothers on the High Street - where Pink Floyd recorded a live LP.
3. Legend has it Six Ways Island is the oldest traffic roundabout in the UK.
4. The first version of the famous Erdington Sign Service mural was first modelled and created by local painter George Plant in 1947.
5. Sir Benjamin Stone, who lived at The Grange, Grange Road has more pictures in the National Portrait Gallery than any other person.
6. Ashford vs Thornton was the last case of trial by battle in England 1818.
The aquittal of Abraham Thornton of the murder of an Erdington resident Mary Ashford in the marl pit on Penns Lane led to an appeal by her brother William. But Thornton called for trial by battle and was allowed. Her brother declined and he walked free.
7. It took just 17 years for Erdington’s own council to install sewars, street lights, trams, a library a second local school and electricity to homes
8. Rookery House was owned by Dorothy Spooner who married William Wilberforce the anti slavery campaigner. Local residents collected donations to send to help slaves escaping in the United States during the 1800’s
9. Erdington residents celebrated diamond jubilee in 1897 with a hog roast in Rookery Park, this was repeated for the diamond Jubilee in 2012
10. The first ever mayor of Sutton Coldfield, Sir Benjamin Stone was actually a resident of Erdington.
11. Number 2 Fern Road had the last thatched roof in Birmingham it was replaced in 1944 due to fire risk.
12. Most houses up until the Second World War, were built with bricks from the Nocks brickworks on Holly Lane. 20 million of the bricks where used for Fort Dunlop.
13. Erdington was part of the Royal Forest (Sutton Park ) until 1126, giving residents of Erdington the right to timber from the forest to repair their houses.
14. According to an old rhyming couplet it’s the place to be for a date: "Sutton for mutton, Tamworth for beef, Yenton for a pretty girl, Brummagem for a thief"
15. For over 400 years Erdington was part of a parish including Castle Bromwich and Water Orton