Claverdon Hall has been here long enough to have formed a backdrop to various historic periods of intrigue, from the Wars of the Roses, through the Reformation and the Civil War.

"Winding lanes bring us uphill to sudden views of miles of Warwickshire with the Cotswolds far off. Enshrined in trees, Claverdon has an old forge and a few timbered cottages gently touched by the hand of Time." Arthur Mee, The King's England, 1936.

Early 20th century chronicler and nostalgic, Arthur Mee loved the echoes of old, unchanged England.

On his travels through Warwickshire, he spotted the Stone Building at Claverdon, that puzzling remnant of past times, thought to be just one surviving corner of a grand country house, built for the Spencer family.

Other important village buildings have fared better, from the quirky little forge with its much photographed horseshoe-shaped door to the grand Claverdon Hall off Lye Green Lane.

The hall is an exciting new arrival in the Midland marketplace, arguably the best house in Claverdon, hinted at by its £3.5 million price tag.

Considering that this is one of Warwickshire's premier villages, firmly in the "golden triangle" between Warwick, Henley-in-Arden and Stratford, current top end rivals are pretty thin on the ground.

The thinking is that the site of today's Claverdon Hall is probably the exact spot chosen for the earliest manor house.

Its roots go all the way back to Saxon times, pre-Conquest, though the earliest fabric of the existing hall would be 400 years or so later.

A Claverdon Hall is recorded in 1485 though it is possible that its origins were even older than that.

At first glance, the handsome house with its not quite matching timbered gable wings, might be presumed to be 17th century, as is so much of Warwickshire's "black and white" or in this case "red and white".

Anything much older is always remarkable but successive generations of occupants will have layered on their own improvements and additions, bringing something new with each era.

A house of such likely great age might be expected to come with a few mysteries and quirky corners.

There is little that is puzzling about the fine oak panelling in many of the rooms, but it is said that an understairs storage area may just have been a priest hole, and there are tales that from it once led an underground passage leading, fascinatingly, in the direction of the old Stone Building in Manor Lane.

Certainly, Claverdon Hall has been here long enough to have formed a backdrop to various historic periods of intrigue, from the Wars of the Roses, through the Dissolution, the Reformation and the Civil War.

The list of important family names associated with the manor make good reading, from the Verneys in the reign of Richard lll, a Roger Walford who leased the property from Henry Vlll and later the Dudleys, Earls of Warwick.

The Spencers came soon after, in the second half of the 16th century, holding the lands locally until 1716 when it was the turn of the Archers of Tanworth-in-Arden.

Claverdon Hall holds onto its high status in very different times, now most likely the target for a well-heeled incomer or Midland business type who knows exactly the appeal of this location.

From the hall there are wonderful views over countryside to the Lickey and Malvern Hills. And although this is prime, old Warwickshire, the "new" expanded Midlands, including Solihull, are on the doorstep.

Progress has marched up towards the village boundaries - but not quite close enough to ruin the scene. The M40 can be picked up at junction 15 from just four miles away. Henley-in-Arden is only four miles too, Stratford-upon-Avon seven miles, Warwick six and Solihull, 12.

As village survivors go, Claverdon is no-table, much more than its picture postcard looks might imply.

There are proper facilities here and real community spirit, admired junior schooling, two pubs, proper shop, doctors and a village hall as well as good local sport and leisure at nearby Ardencote Country House Hotel, only half a mile away.

The Grade ll listed house is a big one - some 5,380 sq ft with impressive reception space as well as room for a large family.

There are six bedrooms and three bathrooms spread over the upper level, bonuses including the various dressing areas, box rooms and attic spaces.

The formal areas include some extremely good spaces from the muge reception hall to a study as big as most drawing rooms, more than 26ft by 17ft.

There is a sitting room with inglenook fireplace, a large dining room, panelled in oak to full height and a drawing room, more than 28ft by 23ft, formed from a later additional wing, complete with its own wide fireplace, two sets of French doors and a drinks room off. There is also a breakfast room linking into the working kitchen with Aga and plenty of domestic areas beyond including the utility, pantry and boiler room.

Special features include a carved frieze in oak in the dining room, opak framed leaded windows, a collection of fireplaces and old oak doors.

Recent upgrading has introduced some smart bathrooms with upmarket fittings including a rain bath with big shower rose, oak storage and sanitaryware by Villeroy & Boch.

To match the status of the house is a whole courtyard of outbuildings with storage, former coach house, tack room, four car garage block-and-stables with dovecote feature. There is a detached period brick and tile barn, also dating from the 15th century and now used as a big games room with galleried first floor.

The gardens are well planned with formal and natural areas and include an all weather tennis court, orchard, paved terrace, mature trees and hedges, all adding up so some 4.5 acres.

Details are available from John Shepherd, 01564 783866.