In times gone by the revelation that a king or queen passed a night in a particular house was like a five star review on Trip Advisor.
Plaques would be put up to mark the fact that royalty had rested there.
Or perhaps the suite would be named after them so that other guests might reflect on the crowned head that had reclined there before theirs .
The Manor House in Knowle, Solihull, provided a bed and probably breakfast to Queen Elizabeth 1.
She had gifted the manor of Knowle, which the property was part of, to her close friend Robert, Earl of Leicester in 1573.
The house’s history goes back far beyond that, however.
The estate of Knowle Manor can be traced back to 1200, when William De Arden granted the vill to his wife, Amice De Traci.
It descended, along with Hampton-in-Arden, through the De Arden family until 1284, when it was sold to King Edward 1 and Queen Eleanor.
After the death of the Queen, King Edward gave the Manor to Westminster Abbey as part of the endowment of a chantry (which can be the singing of masses or a chapel) for her soul.
After the dissolution of the Abbey, Knowle was granted to the Bishop of Westminster in 1541, and then in 1550 to the Bishop of London.
In 1559 the Manor passed back to the crown. Which was why Queen Elizabeth was able to grant it to her favourite.
When he died in 1588, it reverted back to the crown.
In 1662 it was granted to Fulke Greville, the 5th Baron Brooke, He died in 1710.
He had given the Manor to his second son , Algernon, whose son Fulke, sold it in 1743 to William Smith.
It is possible that the house on the present site of The Manor House might have been the principal dwelling in the village.
Sir Fulke Greville built Knowle Hall later and took it as his main seat.
The Manor House went through a number of ownerships before being occupied by Daniel Beal, the master of the free school. The school room was located in Manor Cottage, which was part of the estate at the time.
After 1846 the house was let to DR JH Kimbell, who later bought it. It is he who is believed to have first called it The Manor House.
The present owners have enjoyed its sense of history and beautiful setting for 25 years.
It is a wonderful house for a large family. The accommodation on the ground floor includes a reception hall/sitting room, a drawing room, a dining room, a billiard room, library and a garden room.
It also has a kitchen, a utility, a boot room, a bathroom and a cloakroom with toilet. There is also a good sized wine cellar on the lower ground floor.
On the first floor there are nine bedrooms. Three of them are en suite. Bedrooms three and one share a Jack and Jill en suite. There is also a separate shower room.
Bedroom seven is suitable for use as an office.
The house has been sympathetically restored by its owners.
It still has many character features, such as mellow oak panelled walls in the reception hall and living room, and exposed beams to the ceiling.
Leaded light windows to the front contain two seals from Westminster Abbey – one design exhibiting the patron St Peter with engrailed nimbus and the other depicting Edward the Confessor clad in embroidered robes.
The house’s imposing frontage is set back behind wrought iron railings, which were the original railings to the Devonport Shipyard.
A magnificent copper beech graces the front garden, which also has manicured yew hedging.
The Manor House grounds include formal gardens, pasture and woodland, extending to almost four acres, with magnificent views across the Warwickshire countryside.
It is within walking distance of Knowle village. Dorridge station is just a mile and a half, and provides a direct link to London Marylebone and Birmingham Moor Street.
AGENT: Fine and Country
TEL: 0121 746 6400
GUIDE PRICE: £2,000,000