Horses and cows have played a significant role in shaping the history of Maisemore Park in the Severn Vale.

It was cows that first helped it to make headlines – in Country Life magazine.

Maisemore Park was built in 1810. In 1897 it was purchased by Mr JJ Cridlan, a world renowned authority on breeding cattle – in particular the Aberdeen Angus.

His expertise was acknowledged in an article in Country Life in 1902, accompanied by a picture of Mr Cridlan and a rather handsome member of his Aberdeen Angus herd posing in the grounds of Maisemore Park.

Another unique selling ‘point’ for buyers who are keen equestrians is that it has its own point to point course , run and managed by the Ledbury Hunt

Aptly named Little Cheltenham, it is a totally flat, oval course bounded on two sides by the River Severn.

Popular with both owners and trainers, it features a pre parade paddock and winners enclosure.

The bank provides a natural grandstand for viewers that regularly number over 2,500 per meeting.

The Hunt pay a small annual fee for the use of the land.

Maisemore Park is in the middle of the countryside, just outside Gloucester, and has some exceptionally fine views with the Cotswolds to the south and east and the Malvern Hills 18 miles to the north.

The main approach is through a pillared gateway and up a long carriage driveway to a wide gravelled turning area.

A columned portico leads into the Grade II listed property .

Once inside the main hall, the eye is almost inevitably drawn upwards to admire the light well above the galleried landing.

Other charming features of this reception area include the marble floor and carved oak fireplace.

In the drawing room, the tall ceiling has detailed cornicing to the edges, ceiling rose, fine plasterwork to the walls and floor-to-ceiling windows.

Large double doors open through to a snooker room with decorative wood floor and more large windows.

Beyond this is a quite delightful sitting room with bay window and French doors to the terrace. It is currently being used as the dining room as it is conveniently placed for the kitchen and breakfast rooms.

Also leading from the main hall is the study, a spacious room with a bay window overlooking the entrance.

Beyond the kitchen/breakfast, the house leads through to an annexe area. This has a utility with Belfast sink, dining room, boot room, cloakroom and store.

Also on the ground floor, there is larger than average cloakroom with two toilets and a strong room for valuables .

A staircase from the central reception hall leads to the galleried landing and the first floor bedrooms.

There are six altogether. The master suite has far-reaching views and en suite facilities that include both a shower room and a Jacuzzi bath.

A guest bedroom suite includes an en suite with a free-standing bath.

The other four bedrooms, one of which could be used as a dressing room, are served by the family bathroom.

The annexe, or north wing, has been used as secondary accommodation. However, it could be reincorporated into the house.

It has its own access from the yard to a boot room and the accommodation currently includes the downstairs dining/sitting room and a bedroom, sitting room, kitchenette and bathroom on the first floor.

Extensive cellars beneath the house provide lots of storage space, including two rooms for wine.

Outside, Maisemore Park has a flagstone terrace bordered by a balustrade which leads onto lawned gardens.

A small wooded area runs along the side of the drive. There is also a small pond stocked with fresh water ornamental fish. Outbuildings include a garage, Victorian greenhouse, garden store and greenhouse.

There is considerably more land than just the gardens as Maisemore Park is set in approximately 106 acres, the vast majority of it grassland.

The current owner trained horses at the property until recently. It has a stable yard with 11 stables, tack room and feed store, horse walker and manège.

The land has been divided into a number of paddocks, one of which has been used as a half mile all-weather gallop.

To the north of the house is an old apple orchard. At the foot of the hill, the land flattens out forming part of the local floodplain. It is this that is used for the point to point.

Running alongside the east and southern boundaries of the park is the River Severn.

Maisemore Weir at the southern most boundary is said to be the most distant point affected by the daily tides.

Although the river does sometimes flood, the sandy soil means it drains quickly.

The property is available as a whole for £2,600,000 or in lots with the house and 21 acres offered for £1,975,000.

Maisemore Park is situated just north of the village of Maisemore, two and a half miles from Gloucester. It has a village hall, pub and a church. The property is nine miles from Cheltenham.

VIEWING INFORMATION

AGENT: Knight Frank

TEL: 01242 246959

WEB: www.knightfrank.com

GUIDE PRICE: £2,600,000