A sepcial memorial plaque has been unveiled to a Birmingham artist who was famous for finding inspiration where he lived.
Samuel Lines both painted and taught others, and lived and worked in the city from 1794 until his death in 1863.
His own work includes attractive paintings depicting views of Birmingham, but perhaps, even more famously, he pioneered the teaching of drawing and painting in the town.
The Birmingham Civic Society plaque was unveiled at Birmingham Cathedral by the Very Revd Catherine Ogle and descendants of the artist.
Born in Coventry, Mr Lines moved to Birmingham at the age of 16 to take up an apprenticeship as a designer with a clock-dial enameller.
He subsequently became a professional artist and in 1807 set up his first drawing academy on Newhall Street.
Here he taught practising artisans the design skills needed for producing the wide range of decorative objects then produced in Birmingham as well as providing instruction for aspiring artists.
As the number of his pupils expanded, he moved to new premises at 3 Temple Row West which he turned into his house and teaching studio.
Samuel Lines was also a leading participant in setting up an art institution in Birmingham which gained a strong reputation for teaching and promoting art practice.
This evolved into the Royal Birmingham Society of Artists, which still operates within the city to this day. The Birmingham Civic Society has now put up a blue plaque on the site of his former home and drawing academy at 3 Temple Row West as this year marks the 150th anniversary of this death.