Mothering Sunday is this weekend so it's time to make sure you deliver the goods. Alison Jones checks out some top buys.
* The sweet smell of food can bring a thousand memories rushing back. Jo Malone’s limited edition Sugar and Spice collection takes its inspiration from the best in British desserts and sweet treats. Lemon Tart has the tang of citrus and the swirl of meringue. Redcurrant & Cream has the sharpness of a berry-filled summer pudding rippled through with vanilla musk. Elderflower & Gooseberry is delicate but with the freshness of gooseberries. Ginger Biscuit is as warm as the name suggests, spicy, nutty and with a hint of vanilla. Bitter Orange & Chocolate is lushly layered with the bite of bitter orange and the sumptuous smell of cocoa. Each cologne costs £38 and is on Jo Malone counters in Selfridges now.
* Lush is always packed with pocket money sized treats themed for special occasions. The Mumkin bubble bar, £2.75, has a fruity fragrance and will create a bath full of raspberry-scented bubbles. Mum’s re-usable bubble bar wands, £5.25, can be used up to six times. Just whirl one round the bath for a fairy-like froth of scented water. You can also treat mum to a complimentary tea, cake and in-store pampering at Lush on Sunday. Staff will be giving skin and hair consultations, hand massages and present advice. For opening times and details of the nearest Lush store, call 01202 668 545 or visit www.lush.co.uk.
* Surround her with luxury with Crème de la Mer, The Body Crème (£150). With seaweed and bio fermentation as its cornerstone, The Body Crème is like a virtual ‘seaweed wrap in a jar’. It infuses the skin with moisture and nourishes even the driest skin, making it feel smoother and more toned. Crème de la Mer also offers a gift wrapping service for that finishing touch. Ask at Creme de la Mer counters in Harvey Nichols and Selfridges.
* The classic 4711 cologne has been making the world a sweeter smelling place for more than 220 years. If you are a sucker for tradition but still want to get your mum something that smells refreshingly modern, try 4711 Nouveau Cologne, with notes of litchi, blackcurrant and evodia. Or there is the original in its instantly recognisable ornately decorated bottle, packed with bergamot, lemon, orange, lavender, rosemary and neroli. Prices range from £3.06 for EDC tissues up to £17.31 for the cologne itself. Available from Boots, Selfridges and independent chemists.
* Nail the perfect present by checking out some of the most sought after shades for spring summer. Nails inc has all the latest colours for £11 each. Available in Debenhams Beauty Hall in the Bullring.
* Mascara and lipstick are probably the cornerstones of any make up bag, opening up the eyes and providing a welcome slash of colour or simply a moist gloss to lips. Noir Couture 4-in-1 Mascara is the combination of an architectural tri-spherical brush and an effect-producing texture. Givenchy Le Rouge is a Couture object of desire that covers the lips with intense colour in one stroke.
This stylish twosome come in a gift set for £22.50. For stockists call 01932 233 824
* Let you mum float away for an hour with Darphin’s new Daydream Ultra-comfort Body Treatment. It offers the perfect fusion between a nourishing and regenerating massage and a unique sensory experience. The restful full-body treatment is done with the client lying on their side, creating a cocoon-like sensation. Five Darphin products are applied in soft, elongated strokes so each active ingredient fully penetrates. It lasts 60 minutes and costs £65. For Darphin salons visit www.darphin.co.uk.
* Help her keep her hand cream “handy” with this trio from L’Occitane – enough to pop one in a bag, another beside the bed and the third next to the sink, so her skin can stay soft and silky. The gift set costs £20 from L’Occitane in the Pavilions.
* Buy a bird box with a difference. This won’t provide a home for feathered friends but it will offer mum a welcome refuge for a while. The Green & Spring Indulging Bird Box contains an Indulging Shower & Bath Foam, Indulging Light Bath Oil, Indulging Travel Candle and Natural Lavender Filled Eye Mask. It is £25. For stockists and to order look up www.greenandspring.com.
* Soap & Glory’s Sexy Mother Pucker Extreme-Plump Xl claims to be the strongest lip plumper (externally applied) on the planet thanks to its plant-based circulation boosters, nano plumpers and visual-effect fillers. it is now available in four shades – Very Berry, Pink Out Loud, How Nude and Clear. They are £10 from Boots.
* Paul Mitchell has salon style all wrapped up and beautifully packaged to make the perfect present. Originating from Hawaii, the Awapuhi Wild Ginger Boutique boxes feature luxury products with ingredients to restore weak, damaged hair. The Awapuhi Wild Ginger Waves Boutique Box contains Moisturizing Lather Shampoo, Keratin Cream Rinse, Keratin Intensive Treatment, Texturizing Sea Spray, HydroCream Whip and Finishing Spray. The Awapuhi Wild Ginger Smooth Boutique Box has Moisturizing Lather Shampoo, Keratin Cream Rinse, Keratin Intensive Treatment, HydroMist Blow-out Spray, Styling Treatment Oil and Finishing Spray. They cost £39.95 each. For Paul Mitchell salons in the West Midlands look up the salon locator at www.paul-mitchell.co.uk or call 0845 6590012.
* Elemis is out to “rescue” skins with its new “hero” product. The Pro-Collagen Cleansing Balm has been two years in development.
Containing rich, skin-nurturing oils sourced in the UK, this balm melts away make-up. Open the jar and enjoy the signature blend of geranium, lavender, chamomile, eucalyptus, ho wood, orange, menthol and clove, blended into the highest-quality wheatgerm and oat, starflower and elderberry oils, all fused with mimosa and rose wax. It is £39.50 from John Lewis and Harvey Nichols.
* Give mum a valid excuse to take the weight off her feet with Ragdale Hall’s Relax Fabulous Feet Spa Rituals. If you’re feeling extra generous you could throw in a foot massage too. It is £12 from Marks and Spencer.
* Mums always have a busy start to the day. Origins zingy Great Starts box will help her feel ready to face it. The set includes three award-winning anti-agers – Plantscription Anti-ageing serum, Starting Over Age-erasing moisturizer with Mimosa and Plantscription Anti-ageing eye cream. It is £48, on counter at House of Fraser and Selfridges.