Orange Business Services is offering access to more than 10,000 wireless hotspots around the UK and has developed an online tool to identify the top 10 places to work wire-free in Birmingham.
Orange says it has been scouring the UK, developing a detailed directory of hotspot locations for all towns and cities, big and small.
People entering their postcode into the search bar on the interactive map at the Orange WiFi site (orange.hotspot-directory.com/top100/) will receive a list of the 10 best places for wireless working nearest to them.
Clicking on one of the locations will take the user directly to a map and include the full address and contact details of the hotspot location. Entering the Birmingham city centre postcode of B2 4NY pulled up the following best spots:
* Birmingham New Street – www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/779.aspx
* Penny Blacks, The Mailbox – www.penny-blacks.com/
* Thistle Hotel Birmingham– www.thistle.com/hotels/birmingham/
* Concrete – www.myspace.com/concretebirmingham
* Hilton Birmingham Metropole – www.hilton.co.uk/birminghammet
* Holiday Inn, Stratford – www.ichotelsgroup.com
* The Chicago Rock Cafe, Stafford – www.chicago-rock-cafe.co.uk/
* Mobius Bar and Restaurant, Leicester – www.mobius-restaurant.com/
* The North Stafford Hotel, Stoke-On-Trent – www.hotelnorthstafford.co.uk/
* Hole in the Wall, Shrewsbury – www.theholeinthewall.co.uk/
To make it into the top 10, the site has a star rating system, which marks out of five the following factors for the best wireless working environment: power (access to an electricity supply), food and drink, outside space, work friendly (are communities of mobile workers welcomed or frowned upon), comfort, and the wow factor (if you need to impress someone with your new “office”).