A public meeting to discuss the future of Good Hope Hospital has been cancelled – sparking fury from campaigners.
Health chiefs recently announced the talks would take place on March 20, giving locals the chance to have their say on any service closures or shake-up.
But they have now been told the looming meeting has been cancelled after hospital bosses held talks with locals MPs.
Sutton Coldfield MP Andrew Mitchell told the Mail he had not received an invitation to the March 20 event, but added he would ensure a public meeting went ahead in the future.
Mr Mitchell said: “As soon as there are proper plans for Good Hope Hospital in place from the management, as a Sutton MP I will ensure there is a full and open public meeting attended by Sutton Coldfield’s elected representatives to make sure that any plans are fully discussed and dealt with.”
But local residents aiming to save services at the hospital have been left angered by the decision.
Krys Deegan, from the Campaign To Save Services At Good Hope Hospital, said: “We were appalled to hear that this very important public meeting regarding the future of Good Hope Hospital, which had been agreed over a month ago and almost completely organised, had suddenly been stopped.
“We and members of the public feel that we have been well and truly led up the garden path and are now even more worried about the proposals for change that were to be the main focus of the public meeting.”
In a statement. Lord Philip Hunt, chairman of the NHS Heart of England Trust which runs Good Hope, said: “Following conversations with local MPs who want to be involved in a full debate around service developments at Good Hope Hospital, we will be postponing the public meeting due to take place on March 20, 2014, until later in the year when we will have a solid proposal for the hospital. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.”