The former home of a genuine hero is up for sale in Upton-upon-Severn.
The marine paintings and antique model ships that still remain in the house, even 50 years after his death, are a reminder of the long and illustrious career of the man known as “Dunkirk Joe”.
More formally known as Admiral William Tennant, he oversaw the evacuation of Dunkirk in 1940, captained a battle cruiser and played a key role in the D-Day landings.
After leaving the Navy he was made Lord Lieutenant of Worcestershire , serving until he died at the age of 73 in 1963.
Sir William George “Bill” Tennant KCB CBE MVO DL, was born in 1890 in Upton-upon-Severn and educated at Hanley Castle Grammar School.
He joined the Royal Navy at age 15, joining HMS Britannia.
He served in the First World War during the Gallipoli campaign and survived the sinking of his ship at the Battle of Jutland in 1916.
In 1940 he acted as Beachmaster to help organise the evacuation of more than 300,000 troops from the beaches of Dunkirk.
Known as Operation Dynamo, between the end of May and the start of June 1940, 378,829 troops, including 120,000 French soldiers, were rescued by a hastily assembled fleet of more than 800 boats that sailed from England to help.
Towards the end, “Dunkirk Bill” scoured the length of the beach calling out “Are there any British soldiers still ashore?” through a megaphone.
During the D-Day landings in 1944 he was in charge of setting up the Mulberry harbours, essential for the off loading of cargo and supplies, and the Pluto pipelines.
A bust of the Admiral was later out up in Upton-upon-Severn, near the famous Pepperpot church tower . He was also given the freedom of the city of Worcester in 1960.
After a career at sea, the Admiral retired to a home that was closer to the River Severn than the Seven Seas.
The Eades in Monsell Lane is in more than 15 acres of grounds, including glorious parkland that is bordered by woodland and coppice.
Grade II listed, it has a pillared entrance porch that leads into the reception hall with a sweeping staircase and mahogany handrail.
A light drawing room has windows to the south, east and west, exposed wooden floor, open fireplace with Adams-style surround. Adams-style arched display shelving and cupboards. Full length sash windows come with working shutters.
There are more sash windows and working shutters in the dining room, which includes a serving hatch to the kitchen.
Original servants’ bells still hang in a rear hallway.
The kitchen is open to the breakfast room and has French doors and sash windows. It is in need of some refurbishment.
On the first floor a west facing window on the landing is an inviting place to pause, as it is fitted with window seats.
There is more window seating in the master bedroom, which has open views across the parkland and orchards.
This room also has an en suite.
There are another five bedrooms. Three of them have fireplaces (although one is sealed). Bedroom five has exposed floorboards and its own wash basin.
Bedroom six is currently used as an office.
There is a family bathroom, separate toilet and a shower room.
Outside, another property is accessed across a cobbled courtyard.
The Coach House has a living/dining room and open kitchen on the first floor, two bedrooms and a bathroom. There is a third bedroom and another bathroom on the second floor.
Original stables are used for storage and garaging.
Stable Cottage is situated just off the mouth of the main drive. It is brick built and has an entrance hall, sitting room, kitchen, cloakroom, two bedrooms and a modern bathroom.
It stands in enclosed gardens and is let on an assured ahorthold tenancy.
The Eades is set behind mature trees, coppice and shrubs.
Wisteria and ivy climb the back of the walled garden to the side of the house.
At the back it is mainly lawned and leads to a ha-ha. Mature parkland contains some wonderful trees with Cedars of Lebanon and giant Redwoods.
A swimming pool area is in need of repair, as is the ruined greenhouse which sits next to the original vegetable garden. A small vineyard contains a variety of grapes which have been used to produce rosé wine.
Edwardian walkways cut through the mature coppice and woodland.
Just over eight acres of the land is given over to productive orchards, which are currently under contract to Bulmers Cider.
The varieties are Dabinet and Michelin. The expected harvest for 2015 is around 40 tons , giving an income of about £5,000.
The Eades is to the west of Upton-upon-Severn beneath the Malvern Hills.
AGENT: Knight Frank
TEL: 01905 888380
GUIDE PRICE: £1,250,000