It’s had dukes, earls and industrialists among its owners and the impressive country house even featured in a children’s television programme. Now Wassell Wood House, near Bewdley, is ready for a new chapter in its history.
The elegant, Grade II listed country house, which sits in just over 12 acres of grounds, is listed in Nikolaus Pevsner’s Buildings of England and although it dates to about 1840, it is believed an earlier house was there in the 17th century when the grounds were part of a larger estate that was part of the manor of Kidderminster.
Among those who occupied the old house were the Duke of Northumberland and, later, the ironmaster and politician Thomas Foley.
The Earl of Dudley bought the property in the early part of the 19th century and in 1911, it was sold to George Foster, a director of Foster Clark’s Custard Company, who remained there until 1935.
And eagle-eyed TV watchers who were fans of the 1984 children’s programme The Box of Delights, which featured Patrick Troughton, will also recognise Wassell Wood House.
The current owners have lived in the six-bedroom, five-bathroom property for 16 years and have undertaken extensive repairs, including rewiring, replastering and re-leading the roof. They have also fitted an oil-fired central heating and a wood gasification boiler.
They have also carefully restored many of the original features, including a number of the windows, which have been returned to their original sash style.
If it’s space you need, then this delightful house, located two miles from Bewdley and three from Kidderminster, could be for you.
There’s 6,670 sq ft of accommodation in the main house, while the coach house, which the current owners built, has further living space on the first floor.
The marketing agents describe the house as “light and attractive”, adding that it has well-proportioned rooms with high, moulded ceilings, decorative cornicing, original stone fireplaces, decorative wood panelling, ceiling roses and polished oak floors.
The reception hall is a real conversation starter, thanks to 12 individually designed gargoyles and an arched leaded stained glass window.
The large formal dining room to the left of the reception hall has an open fire and the original decorative ceiling, while dual windows – a generous bay window to the side and another window to the front – ensure that those lovely views over the grounds and surrounding countryside can be enjoyed.
The dining room has a secret door that leads to the library and there are full-length panelled double doors that open into the drawing room and can be fully opened to create a much larger space for entertaining.
The drawing room itself is light, thanks to the dual aspect, and this characterful room has an ornate decorative ceiling and open fire.
An inner hallway leads to the informal reception rooms – the snug and morning room, cellars and the impressive billiards room, which is a large and elegant space with double-height ceiling and wood-panelled walls.
The billiards room has access to a terrace courtyard and to the coach house via a covered walkway.
The ground floor also accommodates a large morning room, which is located off the inner hallway, plus the breakfast room, kitchen and separate utility.
The kitchen has hand-built units and granite worktops, a large central island, integrated appliances such as twin Gaggenau electric ovens, Bosch dishwasher, NEFF hob with extractor over and NEFF American-style fridge freezer. The utility room, which is off the kitchen, leads on to a covered porch and courtyard.
The generous proportions of the rooms continue on the first floor, too. There is a split landing and to the left is the dual-aspect master bedroom with en suite bathroom that has Jacuzzi bath and separate shower. On this side of the house there are a further two double bedrooms and a family bathroom. To the right of the landing is a door that leads to three bedrooms, two of which are en suite, and a family bathroom.
Further living accommodation, or guest rooms, can be found in the coach house. On the ground floor there is a triple garage with three separate widened arch double doors and stairs lead to a large room, currently used as a home office, with kitchenette, shower room and store room that is spacious enough to be a bedroom.
There’s no need to get wet or cold accessing the main house, either, for a covered walkway leads from the garage straight to the billiard room.
The grounds are particularly noteworthy and are a real feature for any outdoor lover. The formal gardens take up about two acres and there are exceptional, far-reaching views from the terrace that sweeps to the south facing façade and west side of the property.
There is a sunken rectangular pond, mature Lebanon cedar trees and rhododendrons and at the rear of the house there is a small orchard with apple, greengage and damson trees, as well as borders and a pond.
Wassell Wood is to the west and is owned by The Woodland Trust, while Wassell Wood House owns approximately three acres. The house also has two paddocks below the formal gardens and these are fenced with post and rail fencing.
Agents – Andrew Grant
Telephone – 01905 734735
Guide Price – £1,250,000