If you’re unsure of how to use our commenting system and leave comments on the site we’ve put together this step-by-step guide on how to use the site.
1. Pick a story you would like to comment on. Scroll down to the bottom of the story to where it says ‘Comments’. If comments are enabled for an article, you will see an option to Login. Sometimes we don’t allow you to comment on stories because of legal reasons.
2. Click the login with Facebook button. The `Facebook login window`may initially be blocked by the browser, so you would have to allow pop-ups from the site and then click the ‘login with Facebook’ button again before you can see it
3. You will be asked to enter the username/email address and password you would use to log into Facebook. Enter this and click Enter. Please note: If you’re logged into Facebook already, perhaps on a different tab of your internet browser, you will skip this step.
4. You will be presented with a screen telling you about how your Facebook login is linked to the Birmingham Post.
5. There is an option to change the privacy settings so none of your activity on the Birmingham Post website is shared on Facebook. You can choose whether to make the information about what you do on the Birmingham Post website e.g. posting a comment, to be made public (so it’s viewable by anyone on the internet), only viewable by your friends on Facebook, or private so only you can see it.In terms of what information from your profile the Birmingham Post can see - we can only see your basic information, if you like something on Facebook and if your Friends’ like something you post on Facebook.By basic information this is defined by Facebook as being your username, first name, last name, gender and location and any other information which you have chosen to make public using your Facebook privacy settings.
6. You will then be asked for permission about whether you would like Birmingham Post to post on Facebook on your behalf.This means if you post a comment to the Birmingham Post website about a story then we can post that comment onto your Facebook wall.You have the option to click the ‘x’ to stop the Birmingham Post posting on Facebook. You can select ‘Allow’ or ‘Skip’ at this point
7. After you’ve logged in the story you were on will re-load and you will need to scroll back to the bottom of the article to where it says ‘Comments’.
8. You will see, if you have logged in via Facebook, your name and profile picture displayed. Click on your profile picture or name allows you to go and add information to your profile such as location, interests and more. It’s up to you how much information you choose to give.
9. You can now start typing your comment. We recommend you read the house rules before you post your first comment.