Birmingham Airport handled 830,370 passengers in October, a 4.3 per cent increase over the same month last year.
The biggest growth sector was Asia, which saw a 25.5 per cent increase, fuelled mainly by new direct flights to India and Pakistan, operated by Air India on its new Boeing 787 Dreamliner, and Air Blue, which competed with Pakistan International Airways on services to that country.
Growth was also seen on scheduled non-EU services, with passenger numbers growing by 13.8 per cent; domestic routes with an increase of 5.3 per cent and flights to the EU, which saw a rise of 3.6 per cent.
Paul Kehoe, Birmingham Airport chief executive, said, “We have a strong hour’s catchment of 10 million people and the UK’s largest share of the manufacturing activity so it’s no surprise that more people are choosing to travel from Birmingham rather than alternative congested airports.
“Birmingham is Britain’s most accessible airport, has world class facilities and a growing route network; particularly to long haul destinations, and we are focusing hard on expanding this even further with the imminent opening of our longer runway.”
Scheduled routes that experienced particular growth in October included, Barcelona (+197.8 per cent), Islamabad (+40.6 per cent), Waterford (+31.1 per cent), Stuttgart (+21.1 per cent), Istanbul (+19.2 per cent) and Cologne (+18.3 per cent).
Charter services also reported major passenger increases on many routes as travellers searched out some late autumn sunshine. Biggest passenger increases were: Morocco (+611.2 per cent), Malta (+104.1 per cent), Tunisia (+52.7 per cent), Turkey (+18.7 per cent) and Portugal (+8.8 per cent).
Scheduled services accounted for 83.3 per cent of all traffic, while charter made up the remaining 16.7 per cent of passengers flying from Birmingham during October.
Read more data analysis articles: