A historic city centre pub which re-opened 14 months ago after four years of inactivity is putting the final touches to the next phase of its renovation.
Owners of The Woodman, in New Canal Street opposite the proposed Curzon Street HS2 station, have been refurbishing and restoring the run-down first floor to provide extra space for customers.
The Grade II-listed pub, which benefits from its proximity to Millennium Point, Eastside City Park and Birmingham City University (BCU), was designed by James and Lister Lea and built in 1897 for Ansells Brewery.
Despite squatters being in the pub, it was redeveloped by new owners Birmingham Inns and Linford Developing Heritage and re-opened in September 2013.
This next phase of the redevelopment, which is due to open next weekend, includes general renovation of the first floor, new guard rails and the installation of screens and upgrading of doors to boost fire resistance and comply with regulations.
The new section of The Woodman, one of several city pubs which have undergone a renaissance in recent years, will be open for both drinkers and diners and served from the existing kitchen and bar.
Co-owner Simon Linford told the Post: "The space had previously been B&B accommodation so since we opened we've been using it as a manager's flat.
"What we've found, particularly when the BCU students are here, is that the pub is simply not big enough so there are times when we cannot get everyone in and are turning them away.
"The first floor was not a real mess, more just run down and vacant space doing nothing which could be renovated and will now be able to accommodate around 60 more people.
"The space can also be reserved as a whole for private parties, something we receive many requests for but have been unable to accommodate so far."