The vogue for turning bank buildings into restaurants, pubs and cafés in Birmingham looks set to continue after a Canadian coffee chain picked New Street for its third UK outlet.
Plans have been lodged to turn the former Santander at 64 New Street into a Second Cup coffee shop.
The Canadian franchise has opened outlets in Manchester and London in the past 12 months and had been looking at Cherry Street for its first venue in this city.
The chain is known for selling Fairtrade Rainforest Alliance Certified coffees and Artisan leaf teas.
It claims to only buy from the most recent harvest and beans are quickly extracted and roasted.
But the New Street branch is a continuation of a recent trend in Birmingham of banks being reincarnated as pubs, cafés or restaurants , after the likes of Cosy Club at the Midland Bank building and Nosh and Quaff on Colmore Row.
Banks turned eateries and pubs in Birmingham (see gallery above):
* Lost and Found, in Bennetts Hill, was a former National Provincial Bank
* The Cosy Club is at the original Midland Bank branch, in Bennetts Hill
* The Old Joint Stock was built as the Birmingham Joint Stock Bank by architect JA Chatwin in 1864
* Big Bite at 78-79 Broad Street used to be a Barclays Bank – and is soon to be part of the Left Bank scheme
* Plans have gone in for a restaurant at 63 St Paul’s Square, which was developed in 1899 by the short-lived Birmingham District & Counties Bank
* 130 Colmore Row – now home to Lasan Group’s Nosh and Quaff restaurant – was once an Alliance Assurance office
* Pret a Manger, at 22-24 Colmore Row, sprang up where HSBC once stood
* La Banca, in Pershore Road, Cotteridge, didn’t get that name for nothing. It was built in 1910
* Bodega Birmingham forms part of the former Scottish Widows Building
* The Briar Rose, in Bennetts Hill, was built in 1926 and 1927 for the Commercial Union Assurance